- Created on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 03:26
- Written by Inemo Samiama
ALL NIGER DELTA SOLIDARITY CAMPAIGN MEETING ON SATURDAY 23 MAY 2009.
Agenda: The current military actions in the Niger Delta
We the people of the Niger Delta in the UK have agreed to come together under the umbrella of the Niger Delta Solidarity Campaign to work together towards creating awareness in the western world, especially in the UK, about the conflict in our homeland.
We wish to engage in a campaign to actively inform the media, parliamentarians, western governments and also disseminate information to the general public about the atrocities being committed in our homeland by the Nigerian military authorities.
We owe it to our fathers, mothers and children at home to use our privileged position of living in the UK, far away from the media black- out, oppression and military controls to bring the plight of our oppressed people to the attention of the world.
Together we can help to bring an immediate cessation of the ongoing military onslaught on our people, and contribute to positive change and a peaceful resolution of the Niger Delta crisis.
Lets not forget that as well as the military activities; there is a propaganda war that is being waged against our people.
The federal government and it’s state organs are painting a picture to the world that the on going campaign is against criminals and militants, but we know that it is our fathers, mothers and children that are being massacred.
1. We have agreed to hold public demonstrations at the Nigerian high commission in London to protest against the current and on-going military onslaught against our people. Date, time and place will be communicated to you as soon as possible.
2. A petition will be sent to the United Nation, British Prime Minister, UK House of parliament, European Union office in London and other international organizations.
3. We will be organizing a church service to pray for the souls of all the innocent people that have lost their lives in our homeland in the present and past military campaigns by the Nigerian military.
Please find details below:
DATE: SATURDAY 30TH MAY 2009
TIME: ALL TO BE SEATED BY 1.30 PM
SERVICE STARTS AT 2PM TO 3PM
REFRESHMENTS AT CHURC HALL FROM 3PM TO 4.30PM
PARISH CHURCH OF OUR LADY
54 LODGE ROAD
ST JOHN'S WOOD
LONDON NW8 8LA
LODGE ROAD IS BETWEEN PARK ROAD AND LISSON
GROVE IN ST JOHN'S WOOD
LODGE ROAD IS BESIDE LORDS CRICKET GROUND.
NEAREST UNDERGROUND IS ST JOHN'S WOOD STATION.
3. We intend to take out full-page colored advertisements in
some UK newspapers to explain the perspective of the Niger
Delta people, subject to Niger Delta community members
contributing the necessary resources for us to make this possible.
4. We wish to form alliances with all Niger Delta organizations,
humanitarian organizations and all other similar organizations that
would be sympathetic to our cause.
5. We wish to explore the possibility of taking litigation against the
perpetrators of these crimes against humanity that are being
committed against our people in the international courts.
We will be setting up the following committees to co-ordinate the
affairs of the campaign.
1. A legal committee
2. A public relations/media committee
3. An information/Data collection Committee
4. A strategic planning committee
A provisional committee was set up to organize and supervise the
implementation of the resolutions adopted.
We are calling on ALL sons and daughters of the Niger Delta
region and all others who oppose the brutal and atrocious
actions of the Nigerian authorities to join us in this campaign.
Let us put our differences to rest and come together for the
common good of our shared heritage, people and land.
Another meeting will be held soon. The date, time and place
will be communicated to you.
You are all called upon to reach out to all your friends, relatives
and other people from our region and anywhere in the world
that you know, by email, phone or text messages, so that
we can effectively mobilize more people in this campaign.
Co-ordinator for the Niger Delta Solidarity campaign