- Created on Sunday, 24 May 2009 07:49
- Written by Chief Bello Oboko
FEDERATED NIGER DELTA IJAW COMMUNITIES (FNDIC)
No. 1 Pere Quarters, Oporoza
Warri South-West LGA
Motto: Water for Fire.
Sunday, May 24, 2009.
CALL ON JTF TO CEASEFIRE AS MEND WITHDRAWS FROM GBARAMATU KINGDOM
1. We refer to our earlier statement published in Vanguard newspaper on Wednesday May 20, 2009 that Gbaramatu Kingdom is not a part and parcel of the declaration of war with the Nigerian nation/army by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) which we asked to steer clear of Gbaramatu Kingdom.
2. We are happy at the reports of the release, without battle, the victims of war declared by the military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Gbaramatu Kingdom in the Warri waterways. It is an indication that despite the continuous propaganda of MEND which the JTF should ignore, the forces in the ongoing battle which the Gbaramatu Ijaw people are not willing to be part of, have withdrawn. With reports also that the JTF have dislodged militants, we are disturbed at the continued destruction of civil Ijaw communities thereby spreading deaths, discomfort and hopelessness.
3. We therefore re-iterate our call on the JTF to kindly ceasefire and discontinue its war on the defenceless Gbaramatu Ijaw people and allow place for dialogue.
Thanks and Godbless.
Chief (Dr.) Bello Oboko
The Telemowei (he who corrects) of Gbaramatu Kingdom.